For centuries, the Inuit tribes of the Arctic regarded the dancing ribbons of light that stretched across the night sky throughout the long winter months as the work of mischievous sky-dwellers, or ghostly visitations from the spirits of unmarried women. Today we know this wondrous display of nature at its balletic best as the aurora borealis, or Northern Lights: a celestial phenomenon caused by charged solar particles colliding with Earth's atmosphere, in an event that peaks in activity every 11 years.
Traditionally, Arctic climes are the best place from which to view the lights. Astronomers have caused much excitement, however, with their predictions that the current solar cycle is likely to reach a spectacular zenith in the next year or so. If their calculations are correct, a series of solar flares could be unleashed upon the Earth to rival those of 1958, when the Northern Lights were spotted as far south as Mexico.
If they're right, and this really is the best opportunity to see the lights in more than a generation, then in addition to the customary viewing spots of northern Scandinavia, Canada and Russia, the aurora's distinctive green and gold streamers could easily be visible in the skies above Scotland and northern England, and possibly much farther beyond.
Hurtigruten (0844 448 7601; hurtigruten.co.uk) offers a four-night, half-board Taste of the Arctic cruise, plus a a night's b & b in Tromso, from £850pp.
Other Related Guides
- Forget About Paris - 8 New Romantic Holiday Cities Uncovered
- Corsica: France’s Isle of Beauty
- A Breathtaking Tour Around the West Coast of Ireland
- Bordeaux : the Pearl of Aquitaine
- Great Cities to Host a Conference
- How to Beat Boredom on that Long-Haul Flight
- Camping Holidays in the UK - Three Locations that Kids will Love
- How To Be An Eco-Friendly Traveller
- London Bars – our top 4 Hidden Gems
- 10 Things You Must Do on Your Vacation to Mexico
- Tout savoir sur les lieux à visiter au Vietnam
- The Top 5 Attractions for Families in Dorset
- Planning Your Trip to Ireland
- Luxury tours in January 2012
- Thailand: The Land of Smiles and Spirituality
- New York - for the Ultimate City Break
- New Zealand's Gem - Beautiful Taranaki
- It's Not All About Height! Choosing the Best Place in Europe to Ski Late in the Season.
- Ultimate winter holidays